FranklinIs Connected

Marriage Licenses

E+ROSE Health Food Restaurant & Juice Bar Brentwood & Nashville.

Marriage Licenses

By Brooke Vaughan Schroeder

A small but very important step to formalizing your wedding is making sure you get your marriage license. You also need to get the license in the state where you are going to get married and the license requirements vary per state. If you are going to have an out of town wedding, do your research early and make sure you have time before the wedding to take care of this critical step.

If you are getting married in TN, here’s what you need to know. Marriage licenses in TN are only valid for 30 days so schedule a good time during the work week (County Clerk Office Hours) for you BOTH to attend. The best news about getting married in Tennessee is you don’t need a blood test!

For weddings in the state of Tennessee:

Where do I go?

You can go to any main branch of the County Clerk’s Office during their business hours.

Williamson County

1320 West Main Street
Franklin, TN 37064

(8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., M-F)

(615) 790-5712

Davidson County

 Howard Office Building, 700 Second Avenue South

Nashville, TN

(8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., M-F)

(615) 862-6256

* Always call first to verify hours.

What do I need to bring?

-Both the prospective bride and groom must be present.

-You must have proof that you are over the age of 18, valid ID includes driver’s license, certified birth certificate or valid passport.

-You must also provide your Social Security number and have proof of Social Security. Passports from those who are not US citizens are acceptable.

-Payment for license.  A significant discount is given to those couples who have completed a premarital preparation course within a year prior to the date of the application for marriage. You must turn in a Certificate of Completion signed by the course provider. Rates do vary by county and it doesn’t matter what county you get your license in as long as it is in the state of Tennessee. It’s actually cheaper to get your license in Williamson County than Davidson but they only take CASH.

 Williamson County

License Fee: $93.50 without counseling certificate and $22.50 with certificate (Cash Only)

Download the Certificate of Completion Form from their website at

 Davidson County

License Fee: $99.50 without counseling certificate and $39.50 with certificate

Download the Certificate of Completion Form from their website at


Other Stipulations:

-Residency Requirement: You do not have to be a resident of Tennessee. Valid passports with a current visa are acceptable substitutions for a social security number for non-American citizens visiting the United States.

-Previous Marriages: You will need to show a copy of your divorce decree.

-Under 18: If either party is under the age of 18, they must be accompanied by parents. If under the age of 16, Tennessee law requires that the couple receives a court order before being allowed to marry.

Last Thoughts:

If you plan on changing your name, you will need to get a couple extra copies of your marriage certificate. They costs $2-5 each (depending on county) and it’s well worth it as you will have to mail off official copies to expedite the name-changing process.

Williamson County: Stop by in person. Each copy is only $2, or you can send your request writing with your names and wedding date and it will cost $3 each. Make your check out to “Williamson County Clerk” and mail it to P.O.Box 624, Franklin, TN 37065.

Davidson County: Mail a written request including the bride’s full maiden name, the groom’s name, the date of the marriage and $5.00 for each copy requested. Please make your check payable to the Davidson County Clerk’s Office. Mail your request to the Davidson County Clerk’s Office, Attention Marriage Department, P.O. Box 196333, Nashville, TN 37219-6333.